Translate

Sunday 2 December 2018

“Success depends upon previous preparation.” ― Confucius

“An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” 
― Benjamin Franklin


“When you are designing your plan, think not in terms of what you need to do, think in term of what you need to achieve.” 
― T. Jay Taylor



It all began when the Captain began asking about the location of his peanut butter jars. Or rather the lack thereof. Having brought 4 or 5 large jars of Just Peanuts Blue Menu from home and knowing he had a couple of similar jars on board, I suppose he felt there was a goodly season supply.  However, sometimes indulgence just can’t be modified. 
The first hint of trouble was some mumbling about finding some “natural” peanut butter in a so called Bio store in Paris. I said I would give it a search. When that was not helpful to the supply (Peanut Butter is found in France with difficulty, but it contains salt and sugar. These additives go against the sophisticated taste buds of certain consumers). Next action by the Captain was to begin an online search for ready sources. Netherlands had been a satisfying purchase location, at the Plus markets, in past. But no opportunity of buying the crunchy variety that was craved online. A purchase would require a trip, ruled out immediately. 
So, secretly I decided to take pre-Christmas action and sent off an email to my sister in Canada in search of  the Just Peanuts Blue Menu product.  The series of emails about “the problem” follow:

My sister’s reply to initial request for a Christmas surprise: 

“The nuts” are ready to go out to the Squirrel anytime today or tomorrow. Shocking the costs of nuts these days.
Nuts                       $20
Mailing (by surface parcel with maybe a month or two hold up). $84
By Xpress International (supposedly 4 days) $139

Was so shocked I forgot to ask about taxes.

The question is, how badly does a Squirrel need nuts ??? Is there any other “nut” alternative.

I await further instructions.


My instructions are  swiftly sent off:


The Nautical Nut has just read this, as I was falling down laughing, and he finally asked me  (lifting his head from his Clive Cussler book) what I was laughing about? So I said,  'Read this'! I think we give up the Nut Plan. 
Anyhow, even Nautical Nut was shocked and said No, Never, so I guess he just has to find his own peanuts. Actually he was so desperate today he used my hand blender to grind up some salted peanuts while I was out.  It's a wonder it didn't break as he really does not know how to use it. I just told him to go get plain unsalted and I'll deal with the rest. 
Thank you for the undertaking and investigation but that's just too much for an indulgence. After all, we are thrifty Canadians. 


Next stage: 

 My sister expresses concern. . .
We are worried about the “Squirrel” as he has a long winter ahead of him. Does he know that a squirrel’s brain enlarges in the fall so that he/she is able to find all the nuts he/she has hidden in storage for the lean months ? I know that because I saw the Nature special on squirrels.


Action Aboard:

Dear S&J

The squirrel's brain grew extremely large today as he went online and located a “natural" food store, called and spoke coherent French to whomever answered. (Funny how some people can even lift a car in an emergency) They spoke about peanuts. . .  cacahuètes grillées à sec, sans sel etc., etc., and shortly afterwards the Squirrel donned yellow rain gear (a bit dangerous today with Gilet Jaunes protests) and cycled through a downpour to a "wonderful store" to quote him, upon safe return. Possibly the thought of the postal expense has driven the Squirrel to such high levels of winter activity. But back at the nest he has offloaded a huge bag into plastic bins (all I have) to ensure they don't  "spoil". I have been tasked with natural peanut grinding tomorrow. 

Thank goodness I can rest up for it.

Just another night in Paris. 






Photos of various non peanut related sights around the city follow for this week. 


My Maigret at the AOP Cheese Festival carrying our purchases.




Great Labels and Stickers given away at the Festival





Recipes, recipes. . . have tried a few already


Wonderful place to have an introduction to French Fromage. Every Region represented... much tasting of generous samples!


The Girls on the way to huge Brocante


Great Street Art

Portrait Street Art



The Brocante had many things to love. But we live on a boat


A Series


Of Tiles


Fronting


A Delicious


Boulangerie


Big Boy

Christmas Decorations


at Le Bon Marché


Animated Music Box Display that Drew Children Like Bears to Honey



Creative Soap Display


Saturday Morning Dec 1


Gilet Jaunes Protesters


Police Barricades,  Firecrackers,  Agitated Protesters


No Violence Here. Only at Champs de Élysée

The Squirrel’s Dilemma 


1 comment:

  1. Very funny blog. Laughed out loud - Loraine thought i’d gone nuts! Wishing you both a wonderful Christmas season!

    ReplyDelete